The day before yesterday we told you about the Minneapolis city councilor's proposal to cancel the police force. Now this proposal has become a reality, despite the opposition from the Mayor of the city. Here is the resolution of the City Council, taken with a large majority (9 votes out of 12):
1. Decades of police reform efforts have shown that the Minneapolis Police Department cannot be reformed and will not be held accountable for its actions.
2. We are here today to begin the process of closing the Minneapolis Police Department and creating a new model for cultivating security in Minneapolis.
3. We recognize that we do not have all the answers as to what a future free from the police will look like, but our community imagines it. We are committed to discussing each member of the community available in the city of Minneapolis in the coming year to identify what the safety priorities are.
4. The closure of the police department will take place gradually in the coming weeks and months, with adequate budget cuts.
The reactions were of the following tone: the former Arizona governor Micke Huckabee wrote “ I would like to manage the U-Haul branch in Minneapolis, because people will want to leave a place run by mad people and the best business is to rent for a one way trip vans and trailers “. U-Haul is a well-known US company that rents the means used by households for removals and travel.
The funny thing, for those who don't live there, is that Minneapolis is a city with a democratic mayor in a state, Minnesota, as a Democratic governor. The partico who is riding the protest commands both the city council, then the local police, and that of the state, then the state police. Running after the demands of the more extremist fringes of the anarchist left, one does nothing but admit one's complete failure. It is now clear that there can be no Democratic Party in the USA without a maximalist drift.
Minneapolis in 2018 had a murder rate of 7.4 per 100 thousand inhabitants. New York City has a rate of 3.4 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants. In Italy it is 0.6 homicides per 100 thousand inhabitants. So a city with a murder rate ten times that of Italy renounces the police force to rely on new security models.
What do city councilors who dissolved the police force want to apply? Here are some examples :
- if called for cases of outbursts of anger and madness, doctors will act alone without police escort. If the madman is violent they will make do, or do nothing;
- in case of overdose calls the firefighters will intervene. Of course, once their lives are saved, they will not investigate the origin of the drugs … (unless they become police officers themselves);
- road traffic offenses will be detected by chambers or traffic aids;
- the rest, the other crimes? who knows … ..
Among other things, the police provided an interesting map of the crimes in the city which does not seem a too quiet place.
Car thefts, robberies, bicycle thefts, fights, break-ins. A quiet place which, from tomorrow, will be even quieter due to the absence of the police, replaced with "New security policies". I'm not a futurologist but I foresee:
- an escape of the inhabitants, especially all those who can afford to leave, and a "Gentrification" of the surrounding cities which, however, will keep the police force;
- a boom in purchases of self-defense weapons;
- an increase in crimes, especially murders;
- an increase in the use of private security services.
See you in a year for verification.
This is a machine translation of a post published on Scenari Economici at the URL https://scenarieconomici.it/il-futuro-di-minneapolis-senza-polizia-la-migliore-attivita-ora-e-il-traslocatore/ on Mon, 08 Jun 2020 06:52:24 +0000.